Sunday, December 12, 2010

12/11-12/10: Fish Creek, ID


The four oldest and I headed up to Fish Creek Meadows Saturday morning. The trees were draped with snow and about two feet or so covered the ground. We loaded up our packs and started out on a forest road up into the woods.
We headed in about a half mile before dropping our packs near Fish Creek. The next several hours were spent trying to beat the sunset (about 4:00) in getting an igloo erected for our overnight accomodations. A gentle snow fell as we worked.

I finished the igloo just as night was falling. I wasn't sure if it was going to be big enough for the five of us, but I at least thought it would be close. Dinner was the next priority, so after putting our sleeping gear in the igloo I got dinner started. We had minestrone soup with salami and then moved into the igloo. It had snowed about 4 inches.

We fit in the igloo, but just barely. We read for several hours before the last of the kids drifted off to sleep around 7:30. I stayed up reading for another hour or so before finally succumbing.


Instead of awaking to several more inches of snow we had the steady drip of rain. The igloo had kept us dry, but it was not designed to be waterproof. We quickly loaded our gear and headed back to the trailhead. I sunk up to my waist several times on the way out, but at least was able to break trail for the kids coming behind me. The picnic shelter at the trailhead offered a much drier altrernative for dining, so we had oatmeal while sitting at a picnic table. We had a great time in our first Idaho igloo.

4 comments:

My Life Outdoors said...

A very brave adveture! It wasn't clear to me...did the rain wake you up in the middle of the night? Or had morning arrived before the rain? I recently bought my 9 year old daughter a pack. What type/brand pack do your kids use?

Griffis Family said...

It was raining when we woke up. No rain dripped in on us, I just saw it dripping over the entrance. A warm Pacific air mass has moved in and raised snow levels to 6500-7000 ft (not high by central and southern Rocky standards but pretty high for our neck of the woods).
In terms of packs, all of the kdis use day packs (not really sure of teh brands). They have just enough room for sleeping bags, spare clothes, water bottle and maybe a small toy.

Granola Girl said...

This is SO cool. My son would have loved it. We went up into the back country to sled over Thanksgiving weekend and really enjoyed kicking steps in our 3+ feet of snow. I understand about the sinking :) I think it is one of the parental duties at some to find yourself buried in snow.

It is good to know other families dray their kids out to really enjoy the winter.

AmyK said...

I can't begin to tell you how impressed I am with your family adventure. Taking four kids camping in the snow - wow! Well done.

About Me

My Photo
I'm a father to seven young children and a husband to my beautiful wife Jennifer. I work as a family physician in a small rural hospital in north central Idaho. We enjoy learning more about our Lord as we explore His creation.